Welcome to the main page of the Eastern Shore Cooperator. Use the links below to navigate to the latest stories, and sign up for our email list to receive future updates.
- WEEKEND UPDATE Gas up the car and get ready to hit the road along the Shore for a weekend packed with Christmas shopping, solar workshops, concerts, and a healing arts fair. Full details on the items with *** below are on the Cooperator’s calendar on the Internet. If you want to add an event, post it as a comment below, and go to the calendar page, click on “Post an Event” and add the details for your event.Some time in November, residents of Musquodoboit Harbour will be asked to vote on whether to keep a local area rate tax that brings in $10,000 per year to spend on community recreational needs. (See the related story, "Vote in November on Fate of Recreation Fund.") The ballot will come in the mail.By Richard Bell Residents living in or near Musquodoboit Harbour will be getting a rare opportunity in November for a non-binding vote to retain or end a small tax dedicated to improving local recreational opportunities and facilities. This little-known tax, called a local area rate, appears on property tax bills under the name, “Musquodoboit Hbr Common Rec.”(MHCR) The rate is a very low halfpenny per $100 ($0.005)—or $10 on a $200,000 assessment.
- By Gina Dunn Four youth athletes from Orenda Canoe Club in Lake Echo have been named to the Nova Scotia Provincial team in the kayak events.By Richard Bell Musquodoboit Harbour cycling phenom Mackenzie Myatt has been tearing up cross country tracks all fall, topping things off with a medals trifecta at the 2017 USA Cycling Collegiate Mountain Bike Nationals in Missoula, Montana. She won a gold medal in the Varsity Women's Collegiate XC National Championship race on October 20, beating her closest competitor by more than a whopping two minutes, finishing the two-lap race in 20:44:7.
- WEEKEND UPDATE Gas up the car and get ready to hit the road along the Shore for a weekend packed with Christmas shopping, solar workshops, concerts, and a healing arts fair. Full details on the items with *** below are on the Cooperator’s calendar on the Internet. If you want to add an event, post it as a comment below, and go to the calendar page, click on “Post an Event” and add the details for your event.By Richard Bell This year’s edition of the Seaforth Great Potato Weight-off at the Seaforth Community Hall on October 21 was another rollicking, calorie-stuffed night of fun for kids and grown-ups alike. The potato weigh-in itself went quickly, and then most of the evening’s action focused on raising funds for the Community Hall by auctioning off a stunning array of pies: apple crisp, coconut cream, pumpkin, chocolate bourbon pecan, and more. There was even a Piecaken, a pie inside a cake.
- Editor’s Note: The Coalition for Safe and Healthy Communities for East Preston, Mineville, Lake Echo and Porters Lake led a (thus-far) successful fight to prevent the location of a hazardous waste transfer station on Highway 7 near the Porters Lake-Lake Echo border. They are now asking people for input and direction, starting with the simple question that too few organizations ever ask, whether people support the continuation of the organization at all. We were impressed by the effectiveness of this group’s steering committee in navigating the complexities they faced at the outset, and in coming up with a winning strategy. We urge readers of the Cooperator to support the continuation of the Coalition.Editor’s note: The Community Campus Vision Association has been lobbying for the province to replace the aging buildings of Eastern Shore District High and Gaetz Brook Junior High with a new school consolidating the two schools. The following letter from CCVA Chair Jean McKenna describes CCVA’s September meeting with provincial officials to share CCVA’s investigations of the conditions of the two schools, and to push for a replacement as soon as possible.By Gina Dunn People are always complaining about drivers going too slow on Highway 107. Did you know that from where Highway 107 starts in Musquodoboit Harbour to the East Preston turnoff it is approximately 24.7kms? Many people complain that some drivers are driving too slow on the highway at only 90km/hour or even say 80km/hr. What if you drive 110km/hr or 120km/hr? How much time will you actually save driving from Musquodoboit Harbour to the East Preston turnoff?
- EVERY WEDNESDAY New 50/50 Draw along the Eastern Shore. You must register to play. You play the same number(s) each week. It costs only a toonie! For complete instructions on how and where to play please go to http://www.dartmouthcommunitychest.ca or like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DartmouthCommunityChest1 hour ago - Eventbrite - Soccer tv247 presents L..I..V..E S..T..R..E..A..M..I..N..G |$| "Sheffield United vs Fulham" L..i..v..e S..t..r..e..a..m S..o..c..c..e..r - Wednesday, ......Wed, Nov 22L..I..V..E S..T..R..E..A..M..I..N..G ......Sheffield, England, GBSheffield United vs Fulham: Live updates and confirmed team news ......www..getwestlondon..co..uk › Sport › Football › Fulham FC LIVE LINK- http://live-footballontv.org/link-1/ LIVE LINK- http://live-footballontv.org/link-1/ 17 mins ago - Join Ryan O'Donovan for live updates as Fulham travel to Yorkshire to take on Sheffield United in the Championship..Sheffield United Fulham live score, video stream and H2H results ......www..sofascore..com....fulham-sheffield-united....psTSheffield United Fulham live score (and video online live stream) starts on 21..11..2017.. at 19:45 UTC time at Bramall Lane, Sheffield, England in Championship, ......Sheff Utd vs Fulham - Preview, Live Match | 21 Nov 2017 - Sky Sportswww..skysports..com....football....sheff-utd-vs-fulham....374833Sky Bet Championship match Sheff Utd vs Fulham (21 Nov 2017).. Preview and stats followed by live commentary, video highlights and match report..MATCHDAY LIVE: Sheffield United v Fulham - as it happens - The Starwww..thestar..co..uk..............sheffield-united....matchday-live-sheffield-united-v-fulham-as-it-......2 hours ago - Sheffield United can go back top of the Championship tonight with victory over Fulham at Bramall Lane..Watch! Sheffield Utd vs Fulham (LIVE) 2017, Streaming | Onlinehttps:........www..facebook..com....events....2007486432869615Watch! Sheffield Utd vs Fulham Live Streaming 2017 stream the on your fire straight from the web.. technology has made the ease and acces to media very......Watch# Sheffield United vs Fulham Live Stream Free - Facebookhttps:........www..facebook..com....events....132624034029875....Sheffield United vs Fulham Live Stream English League Championship Here........:: https:........t..co....747IcUfvOf.. English League Championship Here........:: https:........t..co.... ......Sheffield United v Fulham - BBC Sportwww..bbc..co..uk....sport....football....419781351 day ago - Preview followed by live coverage of Tuesday's Championship game between Sheffield United and Fulham..
- By Richard Bell Gold’s rise in price, from $1,216 an ounce on July 10 to over $1,300 an ounce at the end of August, is raising the chances of more open-pit gold mines on the Eastern Shore. The area around Atlantic Gold’s Touquoy mine at Moose River Gold Mines has already attracted at least two other mining companies.MONDAY 4:59 PM: BREAKING NEWS: MCNEIL REVERSES COURSE: SCHOOLS TO OPEN ON TUESDAY MORNING![Note: The following material was posted before McNeil's Monday afternoon decision to re-open schools on Tuesday morning.] Liberal Premier Stephen McNeil's stunning decision to lock out all of Nova Scotia's students has left parents scrambling for options and provoke a storm of outrage. Students at Eastern Shore District High and other schools walked out on Friday to support the teachers. The Nova Scotia House of Assembly has been called back into session on Monday at 10 AM to ram through a bill forcing the teachers to go back to work under the terms of a contract that the union rejected earlier this fall. Schools may be closed for as much as a week. Keep coming back to this article on the Cooperator website for links to the latest news on the growing number of protests, on the government's effort to legislate a contract and force teachers back to work, and on efforts along the Eastern Shore to care for all of the locked-out students. And check out the Eastern Shore Cooperator's Facebook page for additional news. You can also leave your comments on the Facebook page, and share information about where to find daycare, etc.[Editor’s Note: This report comes from the Community Campus Vision Association. An article in the December 2016 issue of the Cooperator, "Let's Replace ESDH Now," included an excerpt from this CCVA report. All emphases are in the original report.] As most readers know, the Community Campus Vision Association has been advocating for a new High School to replace Eastern Shore District High, and Gaetz Brook Junior High. Our advocacy had included the concept of a shared facility concept, a “community campus”, to include a recreation complex and a senior's residential care structure. However, it has become increasingly clear that it is futile to “fight on three hills and it has also become clear that these two schools desperately need replacement. Our current focus is therefore entirely on school replacement.